2017 Summer Fellowship
The Jackson Center is proud to offer three student Summer Fellowship positions (late May-mid August) 2017. The Jackson Center is a local grassroots non-profit organization located at the gateway of the historic Northside Neighborhood, one of the historically Black neighborhoods of Chapel Hill. Our mission is to honor, renew, and build community in the historic Northside and Pine Knolls neighborhoods of Chapel Hill.
Three semi-full time (32hrs/week) paid positions are available.
$3250 for 11 weeks.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on March 24th, 2017.
Decisions will be made by April 3rd.
Summer fellows will support core Jackson Center community-building work with a special focus on strengthening relationships between students and long-time residents.
Opportunities may include:
- Leading recruitment and event planning for the Good Neighbor Initiative Walk-Around and Block Party.
- Strengthening our oral history trust: processing interviews, developing our online oral history archive, and supplementing our education programs/workshops
- Coordinating volunteers for core programs and supporting the sustainability of Heavenly Groceries Food Ministry
- Assisting with our home repair advocacy work for elderly, long-time neighbors
- Planning and implementing block celebrations and additional neighborhood gatherings
- Managing household data collection and research projects, especially focused on student resident connections
- Participating in key communications and tech support for the Jackson Center
Skills and Experience:
- Preference for current UNC Chapel Hill student residents of Northside. Non-student residents are also encouraged to apply.
- Community involvement and service experience a plus.
- Dedication to connecting and interacting with an intergenerational community.
- Passion for community engagement work.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Looking for students who can commit to fulfilling their fellowship up until the Good Neighbor Initiative walk around in mid-August.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out a “Jackson Center Summer Fellowship Supplemental” here: Supplemental Form by the application deadline. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis after March 20th.
For more information about the Jackson Center please visit our website www.jacksoncenter.info or give us a call at 919-960-1670.
Email George Barrett at email@example.com for any questions.
Thank you for your interest!