Mrs. Marian Jackson has served as the historian at St. Joseph C.M.E. since the early 1950s. She succeeded her father, Mr. Kennon Cheek, who established the Janitorial Association at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1939. Mrs. Jackson still lives in her family home of over 100 years. It housed one of the first African-American schools in the area and was built by her grandfather, a former slave from Warren County who came to Chapel Hill at the turn of the century to work for the university. He was one of the masons to whom we owe the stone walls that surround the UNC campus. After Mrs. Jackson graduated from St. Augustine’s College in Raleigh in 1946, she worked at NC Mutual Insurance Company in Durham, the cornerstone of what had come to be called “Black Wall Street.” Interviews with Mrs. Jackson led us to establish a Center where university and community members could come together to continue to build a history of which we can all be proud.